Does diaspora matter?
What’s often seen as a diaspora from the outside, is a “dispersion” to those on the inside.
This page lists some of my recent work on “Diaspora and Development” topic.
Working papers, comments, policy reports
- Gevorkyan, A.V. 2022. “Chapter 6: Leveraging the diaspora for innovation-driven sustainable development.” in Innovation for Sustainable Development: Review of Moldova. UNECE. https://unece.org/info/publications/pub/364780
- Gevorkyan, A.V. 2021. Diaspora bonds: can success be replicated? SSRN Working Paper (Jan 5) http://ssrn.com/abstract=3760281
- Diaspora Bond – presentation (March 5, 2021), click here.
- Gevorkyan, A.V. 2020. Diaspora and Small Country Economic Development SSRN Working Paper (Dec 4) https://ssrn.com/abstract=3742985
- “Armenian Diaspora Survey early results – Home country engagement” – Presentation at Armenia 2018 conference: VIDEO [start at 53:00]
- General view on Diaspora Bond http://agevorkyan.com/2018/07/
- A comment on recent Diaspora Bond initiative in Pakistan http://agevorkyan.com/2019/02/06/pakistans-diaspora-bond/
- Gevorkyan, A. V. [Forthcoming]. Diaspora networks? In Sven Horak (ed) Informal Networks in International Business (Emerald Publishing)., Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=4016927
- Gevorkyan, A.V. [Forthcoming (online July 2021)] Diaspora and Economic Development: A Systemic View. The European Journal of Development Research. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1057/s41287-021-00432-x Full access: https://rdcu.be/cn1AV
- Gevorkyan, A.V. 2021. Can Diaspora Bonds Supercharge Development Investment? Migration Information Source https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/diaspora-bonds-supercharge-development-investment
- Gevorkyan, A.V. and V. Asriyan. 2021. The Optics of Diaspora Engagement: Learning from Ireland in Armenia. Repat Armenia (Apr 27) http://repatarmenia.org/en/engage/inspiration/a/the-optics-of-diaspora-engagement-learning-from-ireland-in-armenia
- Gevorkyan, A.V. 2019. Lessons From an Armenian Diaspora Online Survey A Diaspora Portal and Non-Monetary Development Initiatives in Small Economies. EVN Report (May 16) https://www.evnreport.com/raw-unfiltered/lessons-from-an-armenian-diaspora-online-survey
- Gevorkyan, A.V. 2019. A Diaspora-Portal as a door to knock on for non-monetary development in small economies (approx 900 words), read here (Noyan Tapan, April 20, 2019)
- Gevorkyan, A.V. 2017. Development and diversity: the ‘old’ and the ‘new’ Armenian diaspora at the present stage. (in Russian) Caucasus Institute Working Paper. May 12, 2017.
- Gevorkyan, A.V. 2016. Development through Diversity: Engaging Armenia’s New and Old Diaspora. Migration Information Source: http://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/development-through-diversity-engaging-armenias-new-and-old-diaspora
- Gevorkyan, A.V. 2015. The legends of the Caucasus: Economic transformation of Armenia and Georgia. International Business Review, Vol 24 (6): 1009–1024. https://goo.gl/gcIKHr
- Gevorkyan, A.V. and O. Canuto. 2015. Toward a Migration Development Bank for Transition Economies. Huffington Post (June 2). Available online: http://tinyurl.com/pq7okdb Reprints on EconoMonitor [http://tinyurl.com/nq2xsc3]; SeekingAlpha [http://tinyurl.com/nasu49m]; Omaha Sun Times [http://tinyurl.com/oo3qbv7].
- Gevorkyan, A.V. 2013. Armenian Diaspora. in I. Ness and P. Bellwood (eds.). The Encyclopedia of Global Human Migration. Oxford: J. Wiley & Sons; Blackwell Publishing Ltd. DOI: 10.1002/9781444351071.wbeghm038
- Gevorkyan, A.V. and Ar.V. Gevorkyan. 2012 (DOI-2010). Factoring Turbulence out: Diaspora Regulatory Mechanism and Migration Development Bank. International Migration. Vol. 50(1): 96–112. DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-2435.2010.00606.x
- Gevorkyan, A.V., Ar.V. Gevorkyan, and K. Mashuryan. 2008. Little Job Growth Makes Labor Migration and Remittances the Norm in Post-Soviet Armenia. Migration Information Source: http://www.migrationinformation.org/Feature/display.cfm?id=676
- Gevorkyan, A.V. 2008. Fiscal Policy and Alternative Sources of Public Capital in Transition Economies: the Diaspora Bond. Journal of International Business and Economy, 9(2): 33-61. Alternative full text url, here.
- Gevorkyan, A.V. 2007. Voprosy regulirovaniya vremennoj trudovoj migracii. (On Regulation of Temporary Labor Migration). Voprosy Ekonomiki, Vol. 9: 147-149.
- Gevorkyan, A.V. 2007. Dual Citizenship in Armenia: The Nature of the Debate Since Independence. Armenian Journal of Public Policy, Special issue (12/2007): 9-22.
- Gevorkyan, A.V., Ar. Gevorkyan, and K. Mashuryan. 2006. Managed temporary labor migration: case of Armenia and Russia. Gaidar Institute for Economic Policy: GIEP invited publications http://www.iep.ru/en/managed-temporary-labor-migration-case-of-armenia-and-russia.html
- Gevorkyan, A.V., Ar. Gevorkyan, and K. Mashuryan. 2006. Economics of Labor Migration from Armenia: A Conceptual Study. AIPRG Working Paper 06/05 (also here).
- Gevorkyan, A.V. and D.A. Grigorian. 2003. Armenia and its Diaspora: Is there a Scope for a Stronger Economic Link. Armenian Forum, Vol. 3(2): 1-35.